Bear one another’s burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ.
Stephen Ministry is the one-to-one lay caring ministry that takes place in congregations that use the Stephen Series system. Stephen Ministry congregations equip and empower lay caregivers—called Stephen Ministers—to provide high-quality, confidential, Christ-centered care to people who are hurting.
How Stephen Ministry Works
Those in need of care, contact either one of the clergy at Holy Cross or the Stephen Ministry Leader (Mrs. Win Norris) who then partners them with a Stephen Minister. This trained volunteer then meets with the one desiring support to partner with him or her in what is needed.
Stephen Ministers are congregation members trained to offer high-quality, one-to-one Christian care to people going through tough times. A Stephen Minister usually provides care to one person at a time, meeting with that person once a week for about an hour. Twice a month, Stephen Ministers gather with their Stephen Leaders for supervision and continuing education.
Care Receivers are people going through tough times who are being cared for by Stephen Ministers. These are people struggling through a difficult time in life—experiencing grief, divorce, job loss, chronic or terminal illness, or some other life crisis.
Some Important Guidelines
- The relationship between a care receiver and a Stephen Minister is confidential.
- Men are matched with men; women with women.
- When a care receiver’s needs exceed what a Stephen Minister can provide, the Stephen Ministry team makes a referral to an appropriate mental health professional or other community resource.
The Blessings of Stephen Ministry
- Stephen Ministry multiplies blessings throughout the church and community.
- Congregations receive a practical and powerful way to respond to Christ’s commandment: “Love one another as I have loved you” (John 15:12).
- Pastors have a team of gifted, trained, and committed lay caregivers ready to minister to hurting people.
- Laypeople nurture and use their gifts in meaningful ministry, growing spiritually as they serve others.
- People who are hurting have a compassionate companion—a caring Christian friend who provides emotional and spiritual support.
Holy Cross's Stephen Ministry Leader is Win Norris. Our team of Stephen Ministers is: Win Norris, Richard Bresette, Steve Cote, Harry Daugharty, and Shirley Hauser.
For more information or to have a Stephen Minister assigned to you, please contact Win Norris.