The Power to Win the Fight
Scripture: Ephesians 6:10–6:18
“The Power to Win the Fight”
August 11, 2013 Bishop Foley Beach Ephesians 6:10-18
1. Some people think there is no real ______, but the Truth is that the devil and his demons never sleep.
Clyde Strickland: “The devil is always a-workin.”
A. Be Strong in the Lord and in His mighty power (10)
B. Put on the full armor of God (11)
Why? So that you can stand against the devil’s schemes
1 Peter 5:8-9 – “Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. Resist him, standing firm in the faith…” (NIV)
William Gurnell: “In heaven we shall appear not in armour but robes of glory, but here they (the pieces of armor) are to be worn night and day; we must walk, work, and sleep in them or else we are not true soldiers of Christ. In this armour we are to stand and watch, and never relax our vigilance, for the saint’s sleeping time is Satan’s tempting time.”
2. Some people think there is no _____ _____ going on, but if you are serving the Lord there is always a spiritual battle going on.
A. Who are we battling? Not our fellow _______ (v.12)
This is one the enemy’s best strategies: to get us fighting each other (especially in the church).
Our battle is with Rulers (12); Authorities (12) ; Powers of this dark world (12); and Spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms (12)
B. Put on the full armor of God so you can ________.
Take your stand (v.11)
Stand your ground (v.13)
Stand firm (v.14)
John Stott: “Wobbly Christians who have no firm foothold in Christ are an easy prey for the devil. And Christians who shake like reeds and rushes cannot resist the wind when the principalities and powers begin to blow.”
C. Full Armor of God
* Belt of truth (14) Opposite: _________
Truth of doctrine and truth of heart
* Breastplate of righteousness (14) Opposite: _____
A right relationship with God which comes from justification and the moral conduct which follows…
* Shoes of readiness (15) Opposite: _________
Caliga – the half-boot of the Roman legionnaire
Isaiah 52:7; the Gospel message experienced and explained.
* Shield of Faith Opposite: _________
Fire-tipped darts: false guilt; disbelief, discouragement, lust, fear, etc.
* Helmet of Salvation Opposite: _________
Charles Hodge: “That which adorns and protects the Christian, which enables him to hold up his head with confidence and joy, is the fact that he is saved.”
* The Sword of the Spirit Opposite: _________
Only offensive as well as defensive weapon – The Scripture
* Prayer in the Spirit Opposite: _________
All occasions (18)
All kinds (18)
All the saints (18)